It is often very hard to see a loved one, be it a sister, a parent, or a daughter, going through abuse. It can be really frustrating not to be able to help at once and make things better. Remember, you cannot make her leave her situation. She has to want that for herself. Here is what you can do and say to help her reach her decision:
- Listen to her without judging.
- Never criticize her for the decisions she makes.
- Let her know that you are afraid for her safety and that of her children.
- Let her know you will always be there for her no matter what she decides.
- Offer her information on domestic violence, effects of living in an abusive household on the children etc.
- Find out and offer to her, local resources that she can use. E.g. Domestic Violence agency numbers, shelters, etc.